There has been much debate about whether employees are more productive when they work from home or not. For employers, remote work has historically implied increased challenges in managing teams, such as tracking productivity and having a unified company culture. But for 87% of employees, flexibility has become a driving factor in their satisfaction with work – and happy employees make for a hardworking, loyal workforce.
Still on the fence about remote work? Allowing your team to work remotely even part of the time can positively impact your business in these six ways:
1. Access to a larger talent pool. By opening up to the idea of a remote workforce, you can recruit from a larger talent pool versus being limited to one location. This allows you to find the best talent, skill set, and fit for your team – no matter where they’re located.
2. Greater productivity. A Stanford study revealed that employees who worked from home were in fact more productive than their counterparts in the office. They took shorter breaks, had fewer sick days, and took less time off with more flexible schedules.
3. Reduce unscheduled absences. Out of all employees who call in sick, 78% really aren’t. Factors such as family issues, stress, and other personal needs prevent employees from coming in to work. With a remote option available, employees are more likely to work when they’re sick and schedule appointments and errands with more flexible hours.
4. Retain top talent. Losing a valued employee can cost employers thousands of dollars – not to mention the cost of recruiting and training a new hire to take their place. Offering a remote work option, even part time, increases retention.
5. Less Overhead. Having a remote workforce can help you save on long-term fixed costs as a result of not having to rent office space for as many employees.
6. Increase employee satisfaction. You can hire the best talent out there, but if they are not satisfied with their work environment, they won’t give 100%. Factors such as the daily commute to work can take a toll on an employee’s happiness, so it comes as no surprise that employees who work from home, even if it’s just part time, are more satisfied with their jobs.
The benefits of empowering employees with workplace flexibility are clear, but employers need the right tools to do so. With Paylocity’s solutions such as Performance Reviews & Journaling, Learning Management System, Surveys, mobile capabilities, and more, employers can connect with their employees as if they were in the office.