Regulatory Roundup June 2022July 18, 2022
The IRS released special guidance on mileage rates last month, and several state or local updates are due to take effect in the second half of 2022.
Temperatures weren’t the only thing on the rise in June, as soaring gas prices prompted the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to issue a special update regarding mileage rates for the rest of the year. Joining this update are several other state and local laws, ordinances, amendments, and deadlines that take effect in the second half of 2022. Ranging from unpaid leave to overtime changes to workplace health, these changes span multiple states and employers across the country. Check out several of these developments below in this month’s Regulatory Roundup.
Upcoming State and Local Changes
Here are some of the upcoming legislative changes that take effect in the latter half of 2022:
- Florida Individual Freedom Act: Effective July 1, 2022, employers with 15 or more employees will be prohibited from using certain types of content during diversity, equity, and inclusion training in the workplace.
- Illinois Secure Choice Registration Deadline: Employers who do not offer a traditional retirement plan must enroll in Secure Choice by September 1, 2022, if they have 15–25 employees or September 1, 2023, if they have 5–14 employees.
- New Mexico Healthy Workplace Act: Effective July 1, 2022, employers must give employees 1 hour of sick leave per every 30 hours worked, and eligible employees (full-time, part-time, and temporary) must work at least 80 hours in a 12-month period to qualify.
- Ohio Overtime Updates: Effective July 6, 2022, time spent traveling to and from a worksite will no longer be covered, and the state’s law will be subject to exemptions in the federal Portal-to-Portal Act of 1947.
- Virginia Overtime Wage Act Changes: Effective July 1, 2022, sections of the 2021 Virginia Overtime Wage Act (VOWA) will be repealed, and overtime calculations will revert to those used in the Federal Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Chicago Fair Workweek Ordinance Amendments : Effective July 1, 2022, eligible employers must post work schedules at least 14 days in advance instead of 10. Employees must earn less than $29.35 an hour or $56,381.85 annually to be protected under the ordinance.
- San Francisco Family Friendly Workplace Amendments: Effective July 13, 2022, the definition of a family member will expand, teleworkers will be included as covered employees, and employees have the right to a modified schedule unless it causes the employer undue hardships.
- West Hollywood Paid/Unpaid Leave: Effective July 1, 2022, this ordinance will require employers to provide full-time employees up to 96 hours of Paid Time Off (PTO) and 80 hours of sick leave per 12-month benefit period.
IRS Increased Mileage Rates
Due to recent increases in gasoline prices, the IRS released a special announcement that goes into effect July 1, 2022, through December 31, 2022. Announcement 2022-13 increases standard mileage rates for business travel by four cents to ¢62.5 per mile, and rates for deductible medical or moving travel by the same margin to ¢22 cents per mile.
Get more details on these compliance updates from June here:
Be sure to bookmark our resource library and come back monthly for Regulatory Roundups of tax and compliance alerts you need to know. For any other frequently asked questions or general assistance, refer to our Administrator Support page for support contact information, quick how-to guides or training courses, important PEAK articles, and more. Don't forget to also follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter for urgent updates.
This information is provided as a courtesy, may change, and is not intended as legal or tax guidance. Employers with questions or concerns outside the scope of a Payroll Service Provider are encouraged to seek the advice of a qualified CPA, Tax Attorney, or Advisor
- Employee Management
- Modern Workforce
- Human Resources
- Modern Workforce
- Paylocity News
- Credit Union Invests In Its Employee Journey
- Architecture and Engineering Firm Designs a Modernized Employee Experience
- Fitness Group Strengthens Its Employee Experience
- Connecting the Disconnected: Manufacturer Leverages Tech to Engage Employees
- Restaurant Equipment Manufacturer Saves More Than 2,000 Hours By Modernizing HR and Payroll With Paylocity