- Tax Alerts
New Version of Form I-9February 13, 2020 Alerts
At a Glance
- The new version of Form I-9 was released on January 31, 2020.
- The new version, dated 10/21/2019, must be used by May 1, 2020
- Paylocity will have the new version available by the deadline, in the meantime employers can continue to use the 07/17/2017 N form.
On January 31, 2020, USCIS announced that the new version of Form I-9 is available. The version is dated 10/21/2019, and can be used immediately; however, employers have until May 1, 2020 to implement the new form. Employers can use the Form I-9 dated 07/17/2017 N until April 30, 2020.
Per the USCIS website, the changes made to the form and instructions are as follows:
- Revised the Country of Issuance field in Section 1 and the Issuing Authority field (when selecting a foreign passport) in Section 2 to add Eswatini and Macedonia, North per those countries’ recent name changes. (Note: This change is only visible when completing the fillable Form I-9 on a computer.)
- Clarified who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer
- Updated USCIS website addresses
- Provided clarifications on acceptable documents for Form I-9
- Updated the process for requesting paper Forms I-9
- Updated the DHS Privacy Notice
Paylocity will update our onboarding platform, HR, and Payroll to the new form by the April 30, 2020 deadline. Employers who are using paper copies of the Form I-9 may begin using the new form, available on the USCIS website, if they so choose.
Thank you for choosing Paylocity as your Payroll Tax and HCM partner.
This information is provided as a courtesy, may change and is not intended as legal or tax guidance. Employers with questions or concerns outside the scope of a Payroll Service Provider are encouraged to seek the advice of a qualified CPA, Tax Attorney or Advisor.
Date Posted: February 13, 2020