- Employee Management
What Is Workforce Management?March 23, 2021 Blog Post
Discover the importance of workforce management software to keep your company organized, increase employee satisfaction, and improve efficiency.
Have you heard of workforce management (WFM) but never found a thorough explanation of what it is? People often explain it as a set of processes, but the definitions don't concisely tell you what the idea behind the concept is. How do you create a solid workforce management system? And what exactly is included in WFM?
Workforce management originated in call centers. It was a way to improve efficiency and productivity, and it worked well. So well, in fact, that it expanded to every industry and job type. Often when you hear the term “workforce management,” or if you searched it online, people are referencing it in terms of workforce management software.
The software solutions and the phrase workforce management have become interchangeable because WFM itself uses tools and processes to improve different facets of staff performance. Your workforce management software is that tool. A great WFM software gives you excellent flexibility and a wealth of options to manage, schedule, and facilitate stellar performance.
If you'd like to see the way Paylocity's workforce management software empowers you to unleash the full potential of your employees, schedule a demo today!
We're going to talk about workforce management software and what you can expect from a great solution. But we'd also like to give you a solid overview of what workforce management really is and how it can help your team succeed.
How Does Workforce Management Work?
Workforce management is the organized ability to streamline efficiency and improve performance among employees through the implementation of processes designed for your company's workflow. WFM ties together the different aspects of management that foster productivity, including scheduling, time management, human resource management, forecasting, and geofencing parameters for the emerging remote work and hybrid models.
Each organization is unique with its own company culture, business processes, and industry. The company itself is as individual as any single person. You also have staff members who are autonomous. They want work/life balance and a positive environment to thrive in. Your workforce management solution needs to give you a structure to clearly forecast deliverables and propel increased productivity which translates to increased profits. At the same time, your solutions need to be compatible with your staff and methodology to maintain the positive aspects of your current management and company culture.
Workforce management is a method for improvement in all aspects of staff performance. Some processes involved in WFM include:
- Time Tracking: Company-wide tracking of attendance for easy reference by employee.
- Individual Employee Time: This feature gives you a snapshot of an individual employee's break time, attendance, and tardiness to help management identify areas where employees need to improve, as well as to highlight exceptional work ethic.
- Scheduling: Scheduling features allow staff to check their own schedule online and gives management a way to easily manage scheduling requests and workflow.
- Dashboard: A user-friendly dashboard gives an overview of each aspect of your WFM, from time management to reporting.
- Analytics: Your workforce management software offers robust reporting features to improve overall performance and highlight specific areas where staff excel or need improvement.
- Geofencing Parameters: As companies move to remote work and hybrid models, geofencing parameters help you maintain employee efficiency without missing a step.
- Time Clock Kiosks: Kiosks offer a streamlined way for employees to punch-in, record hours and breaks, and view messages.
- Mobile Apps: A mobile app gives your employees a convenient way to keep track of hours, connect with management, and make scheduling requests.
For your workforce management process, Paylocity offers a wealth of features to streamline HR tasks and manage employee time. Contact us today to schedule your free demo.
What Is the Importance of Workforce Management?
The main goal of WFM is to organize your staff. It gives your management a clear view of every employee so that they can maintain the level of productivity they need for any given task. Your supervisors can see the number of employees in a set department at any time. Know at a moment's notice when you need to increase staff and clearly forecast completion time based on the number of employees you have in attendance.
What does that mean for your company? Increased productivity and decreased spending.
When used properly, WFM gives you the tools you need to make sure that you have the right number of employees in place for the workflow at hand. No more, no less. Your company won't waste money with overstaffing because you'll have reporting features that take the guesswork out of staffing needs. You also won't run the risk of understaffing — a problem that can decrease your customer satisfaction and send productivity spiraling. You'll have a clear picture of your staff success rate under all circumstances.
It's increasingly important for your workforce management solutions to be flexible. Staff management is quickly changing to incorporate new work environments. Does your staff work better from home? Is there a hybrid solution that will better serve staff and clients?
What Does Workforce Management Software Do?
Workforce management software provides all the tools you need to put the right processes in place for better staff management. A great WFM software helps your team increase productivity and eliminate waste by matching the right employees to the right jobs. It offers tools to track time and manage employees. Just as important, though, it offers the right tools in a user-friendly format to give your employees a convenient way to keep track of their time and responsibilities.
Want to know more about Paylocity's WFM solution? Schedule your free demo today.
What Are the Benefits of Incorporating Workforce Management Software?
Workforce management software offers many benefits for your organization. Here are some of the top improvements:
- Mitigate Compliance Risks: Compliance is a major concern for companies, and you need recorded data to maintain your regulatory compliance for the Department of Labor. WFM software gives you the tools you need to maintain proper records.
- Save Money on Labor: Lack of organization can lead to scheduling more staff than necessary for a given shift or task. This is just wasteful spending. With great workforce management processes in place, you have better oversight of your staffing needs.
- Streamline the Process for HR: WFM gives HR all the tools they need to manage employee time without all the extensive manual administrative tasks.
- Improve Employee Performance: With user-friendly tools that allow staff to easily manage their time and put employees in work environments that are better organized, performance improves.
- Robust Reporting: Workforce management is an evolution because your company is constantly growing. Your analytics allow you better oversight as a snapshot and overtime. This helps you pivot and change protocols as they fit your needs.
Why Choose Paylocity's Workforce Management Software
You need total workforce management services that keep you organized, increase employee satisfaction, and improve efficiency. At Paylocity, we make your workforce management responsibilities easy with intuitive solutions at your fingertips. Schedule a demo today to learn more.
- Data and Analytics
- Employee Management
- Employee Management