Last updated: January 1, 2023
We value the trust you place in us and have implemented adequate measures to process and protect your personal information appropriately. This Notice of Privacy Practices for Clients and Business Contacts ("Notice") describes how Paylocity Holding Corporation and its affiliated companies Paylocity Corporation, Benefit Administration Technologies, Inc., Blue Marble Payroll, LLC, VidGrid Inc., Cloudsnap, Inc., Samepage Labs Inc., and Samepage S.R.O., (collectively “Paylocity,” “we” or “us”) handle information we collect about you when you use our products, mobile applications or websites, or otherwise interact with us for purposes related to an existing or potential business relationship (together, our “Services”).
We offer mobile applications that allow you to access your account, interact with us online, and receive other information via your mobile device. The handling of any personal information collected via our mobile applications is governed by this Notice and/or our Notice of Privacy Practices for Client Employees, as appropriate.
This Notice does not apply to the following:
- Client employees’ personal information. If you are a current or former employee or contractor of one of our clients, please refer to our Notice of Privacy Practices for Client Employee Privacy Statement for more information.
- Paylocity colleagues’ personal information. For further information regarding our employee privacy practices, please refer to our internal human resources policies or contact us at [email protected].
- Job applicants’ personal information. For information regarding our job applicant privacy practices, please refer to our Notice of Privacy Practices for Job Applicants.
1. Information We Collect
When you access or use the Services, we may collect the following categories of information:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, phone number and any other information you choose to include when you communicate with us via e-mail, mail, phone or other channels;
- Profile information, such as a username and password, your name, business information, title, and usage preferences;
- Transactional information including Services purchased, payment information and payment history;
- Device information related to devices used to access our Services, including device model, device settings, and device location;
- Survey information in response to questions we may send through the Services, including for feedback and research purposes;
- User Content you may provide to publicly post via the Services (e.g., comments);
- Online User Activity described in the next section and in our Cookie Notice, as described below; and
- Additional information as necessary to support the products and Services we provide.
We may collect information from or about you in a variety of ways including:
- Directly from you, when you provide information to us or interact with us;
- From your employer, if your employer has requested that we provide you access to their account or communicate with you regarding the Services;
- Automatically from you when you use or interact with our Services; and
- From online advertising companies who may share information about the marketing and advertisements you have seen or clicked on, and from social networks and other sources of publicly available data.
2. How We Use Your Information
We use the information we collect from you for the following purposes:
- Provide our Services to you, including maintaining your account, managing any transactional information, and providing product recall information or other important notices;
- Respond to your requests, questions, and comments and provide customer support;
- Monitor the performance of our Services, including metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and usage patterns;
- Interact with you, including notifying you of products, Services, and promotions that may be of interest to you, inform you about changes to this Notice, and communicate with you about the terms of our business relationship;
- Tailor the content we display to you in our Services and communications;
- Manage, operate, and improve the Services and grow our business, including understanding our customer base and the effectiveness of our marketing, events, promotional campaigns, and publications, and diagnose or fix technology problems;
- Evaluate, recruit, and hire personnel; and
- Comply with legal requirements and industry standards, detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be fraudulent or illegal, and protect the rights of Paylocity, you, or others.
We may use and share information in an aggregated or de-identified manner data at our discretion, including for research, analysis, modeling, marketing, and improvement of our Services.
3. How We Share Your Information
We may share your information in the following circumstances:
- Vendors and Service Providers. We may share your information with vendors and service providers that we believe need the information to perform a technology, business, or other professional function for us, including providing products or Services to you or our clients on our behalf, creating or maintaining our databases, researching and analyzing the people who request information from us, preparing and distributing communications, or responding to inquiries.
- Affiliates. We may share your information with companies that we own or control, that are owned or controlled by us, or that are under common ownership or control.
- Business Transition. If Paylocity, or any portion of our assets, are acquired by, merged with, transferred to, or invested in by another company, we may share your personal information with that company or other third parties involved in the business transition. We cannot promise that an acquiring party or the merged entity will have the same privacy practices or treat your information the same as described in this Policy.
- We share information where necessary to comply with applicable law, to respond to requests from law enforcement agencies or other government authorities or third parties, as permitted by law, and without your consent when it is necessary to protect our customers, employees, or property; in emergency situations; or to enforce our rights under our terms of service and policies.
4. Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
5. Retention & Disposal
We retain information as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it, for legitimate business reasons, or as required by law. We may need to keep your data for longer than our specified retention periods to honor your requests, including to continue keeping you opted out of marketing emails, or to comply with legal or other obligations. When we dispose of information, we use secure means, such as either physically or electronically erasing information or making it anonymous in a non-recoverable manner.
We implement the appropriate organizational, technical, and physical security measures and controls to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the personal information entrusted to us. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting your account manager at [email protected]
To learn about our security controls, visit our Security page found here.
7. Linked Websites
Our Services may provide hyperlinks that, when clicked, take you to third-party websites that we do not own or control. These hyperlinked third-party websites may collect and disclose your personal information in different ways than we do. We are not responsible for the collection, use, or disclosure of information collected through these websites, nor are we responsible for the content or the privacy practices employed by third parties. We expressly disclaim any and all liability related to such collection, use, or disclosure. It is also possible that third parties’ websites or emails may link to our website.
8. How to Manage or Correct Your Information
You may have certain choices when it comes to how we collect and use your information:
- Email Marketing. If at any time you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email or email us at [email protected].
- Jurisdiction Specific Privacy Rights. If you are a resident of any of the following jurisdictions, you may be entitled to additional rights regarding your information: California, Nevada, the European Union, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom, Brazil, or China. Please review the notices specific to your jurisdiction for further information about exercising your rights.
9. California Notice at Collection
Under the California Privacy Rights Act (“CPRA”), you are entitled to be informed about the following, at or before the point of collection of your personal information:
- the categories of personal information we will collect, the purposes for which those categories of personal information will be collected or used and whether such information will be sold or shared;
- the categories of sensitive personal information to be collected and the purposes for which those categories of sensitive personal information will be collected or used and whether such information is sold or shared; and
- the length of time we intend to retain each category of personal information, including sensitive personal information, or the criteria used to determine such period;
To the extent that we collect your personal information that is subject to the CPRA, that information and our practices are described below. The categories we use to describe the information are those enumerated in the CPRA; categories not listed are not collected. Certain personal information may fall into multiple categories.
Name, email address, phone number, and contact address, username, password.
Source: Directly from you
Purpose of collection and use: All purposes listed in Section 2 of the Notice above.
Categories of Parties With Whom PI is Shared: Affiliates; Service Providers.
Internet or other similar network activity
Device ID, browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.
Source: Automatically generated when you use the Services.
Purpose of collection and use: All purposes listed in Section 2 of the Notice above.
Categories of Parties With Whom PI is Shared: Affiliates; Analytics and Advertising Partners; Service Providers.
For more information about your rights as a California resident, see the Special Notice of Residents of California.
10. International Data Transfers
Paylocity is an organization established in the United States of America (USA). For individuals located outside the United States, your personal information will likely be transferred to, stored, and processed in the USA or other countries outside of where you live. When we conduct such transfers, we rely on various legal bases to lawfully transfer personal information, including the European Union Commission-approved Standard Contractual Clauses (SCCs) and the United Kingdom’s International Data Transfer Agreement (IDTA). Paylocity is responsible for the processing of personal information it receives or subsequently transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. Paylocity complies with all applicable data protection laws for all onward transfers of personal information from the EEA, UK, Switzerland, and other jurisdictions outside the United States.
11. Changes to Our Notices
We reserve the right to modify, alter, or update the terms and conditions of this Notice from time to time without prior notice. We will post those changes on this page in addition to updating the “Last Updated” at the top of this webpage. Modifications shall become effective immediately upon being posted.
12. Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Notice or our information handling practices, please contact us at: [email protected].