HR Workflows: Streamline and Automate Your AdminApril 25, 2023
HR workflows keep everything running smoothly across all departments within your company, saving you time and money. Learn more with Paylocity.
Everyone needs something from Human Resources. It is the beating heart of your company, acting as the go-between for employees, managers, leaders, and teams to ensure everyone is paid correctly, accounted for, and treated fairly.
Despite the high-minded calling, many HR tasks are repetitive and time-consuming. And they can become utterly unmanageable as companies grow and need to scale.
This is the problem HR workflows were designed to solve, automating many of the daily tasks HR pros have traditionally handled so they can focus on the more strategic (and probably more enjoyable) aspects of the role.
Let’s explore the process of workflow automation and its many use cases in modern HR management.
What are HR Workflows?
HR workflows are automated sequences of tasks or processes that regularly occur in the sphere of HR management. Workflows apply to almost any HR responsibility, including things like payroll, recruitment, and time-off requests.
These functions are all essential to the smooth operation of a company, but can be time-consuming and tedious. A well-executed HR workflow reduces stress and saves time by standardizing regular processes and reducing manual intervention for highly predictable, repeatable tasks.
To build and execute HR workflows, most organizations use an HRIS or HCM software that has native workflow capabilities and integrations.
Learn More: HR Automation Explained: Advantages, Challenges, and Examples
The Benefits of HR Workflows
HR workflows are all about simplifying the lives of HR pros. Let's look at what that means for your organization:
- Improved efficiency: Streamline and automate many HR processes, saving time and improving efficiency.
- Reduced costs: Workflow automation means each HR pro on your team can accomplish more with less resources.
- Improved compliance: Standardizing and automating workflows helps ensure your HR processes remain compliant with applicable laws and regulations as your company scales.
- Improved employee satisfaction: HR workflows can improve employee satisfaction by providing fast, automated responses to common questions or automatically routing to appropriate parties.
- Improved decision-making: HR workflow tech can improve decision making by providing real-time data on how employees interact with regular processes, highlighting bottlenecks.
Clearly, there are many advantages to implementing effective HR processes — for your HR department and throughout your organization.
Examples of Common HR Workflows
Workflows may seem abstract, so let's contextualize it with some examples. Here's how you might execute an HR workflow with the help of an HRIS.
HR recruiting workflows encompass the processes involved from the moment a hiring manager posts a job listing to the point when onboarding begins.
Recruiting talent involves filtering through applications, screening candidates, ensuring the correct résumés reach the right hiring team, and arranging interviews. This can involve a lot of back and forth between multiple parties, but with the right HR workflow, many of the administrative steps can be automated.
In practice, this might look like:
- The recruiting team creates a job requisition within the HRIS system, and the job is automatically posted to target third-party job boards.
- As candidates apply, the hiring manager is alerted to applications.
- When a hiring manager indicates interest in an applicant, the HRIS sends a pre-generated email and prompts the candidate to schedule an interview.
- As candidates move through the interview process, the system alerts relevant parties and prompts interview scheduling.
- When a candidate is selected, the HRIS sends out a templated offer letter, populated with relevant role and salary information.
Automated workflows can alleviate back and forth when it comes to physical documentation.
Through HRIS workflows, HR can easily request necessary documentation or collect pertinent data through automated forms. The HR software will automatically store the information in the employee's record.
For example, let's say your organization requires certain employees to have a valid driver's license and an auto insurance policy. You might use a workflow with the following steps:
- The HRIS scans its employee database for any employees who don’t have an associated driver's license and auto insurance record.
- The system automatically sends out notification to a form where the employee can upload a picture of their driver's license and fill out their insurance details.
- This information is automatically stored in the employee's record for easy future access.
Employee Time-Off Requests
HR employees often handle leave requests to make sure everyone who takes paid time off has those days to spend.
They can use automated HR workflows to track accruals and process leave requests. This guarantees the requests are all accessible from one central location and all information on record is accurate and current.
Time-off requests might look like this:
- The employee uses a self-service portal to request time off.
- The HRIS automatically sends the request to the employee's direct manager.
- The manager is alerted to approve or deny the request.
- Depending on the manager's response, the HRIS alerts the employee, updates their time off balance, and automatically flags them as out of office during their leave.
A fully integrated HR and payroll suite will likely have this workflow directly baked into the platform. In this scenario, HR doesn’t need to get involved because the technology takes care of all tracking.
Why Use HR Workflow Software?
When it comes to HR admin work, you've got two choices. Either you manage everything manually, or you use an HR workflow solution to do it for you. HR workflows are vital to helping your HR pros operate as effectively as possible.
A comprehensive HR suite will have integrated modules that make creating workflows simple. Many of the common HR automation use cases (like payroll, scheduling, performance management, etc.) will already be included in the platform's functionality. The right HRIS software will be able to build custom workflows, so you can automate the best way for your organization.
Request a demo to learn more about Paylocity’s robust automation capabilities.
Modern HR Tools
Recruit and retain talent by shaping an environment that makes employees feel valued and engaged. Let our HR tools help.Explore HR Solutions
Power to the People
Employee Self Service gives employees one convenient place to view checks, request time off, clock in and out, and more!Employee Self Service