- Employee Management
- Human Resources
- Modern Workforce
- Talent Management
- Time & Attendance
Top Benefits of an Employee Self Service PortalJune 22, 2021 Blog Post
Employee self-service, also called an ESS system, is a feature of some HR management software. Paylocity explains what the main benefits of an ESS are!
Employee self-service, also called an ESS system, is a feature of some HR management software. Your ESS allows employees a way to connect to your portal at any time. They can check their schedule, communicate with managers, request time off, and complete a number of tasks. Employees appreciate the convenience of being able to access their information without having to contact HR or wait until business hours.
It's a benefit for the HR department, as well. Without this type of system, HR needs to manually deal with a number of tasks that the employee can accomplish on their own. It improves communication and accuracy. Your ESS cuts administrative responsibilities and improves efficiency. It also offers an excellent tool to improve employee engagement. Let's take a look at some of the top benefits of adding an employee self-service portal, and discuss some of the tools and features your team can use to streamline their workflow.
Top benefits to adding an HR Employee Self Service portal
Did you know that most HR departments spend over 70% of their time on administrative tasks? While these tasks are integral to running your workflow, your ESS offers a better way to streamline the process. Letting your employees take control of their own schedules, contact information, and other essential needs that HR once needed to process improves efficiency. It lets your HR department concentrate more on your staff and less on documentation, which is exactly what it takes to improve employee engagement.
Here are some of the top benefits you'll experience with an employee self-service portal:
- Improve Maintenance of Employee Information: With access to their portal, employees can update their information when necessary. When each employee is allowed to make changes as their life demands, it means your HR team isn't taxed with updating all of your staff members’ information when needed. This might seem like a small benefit, but for large companies with many employees, it represents a large savings of administrative time. You'll also see fewer data errors when employees can access and edit their own information.
- Increased Employee Engagement: A self-service portal allows your teams to communicate with each other easily. Employees can be sent updates and reminders to keep them on track. They can access their schedules, oversee their benefits, and always feel in control of their own information.
- Increased Data Security: If your team has been relying on paper documents or a system that isn't properly secured, your employee's confidential information is at risk. It's also likely that you're not maintaining regulatory compliance with regard to data. Your ESS should provide essential security features to keep you in compliance and secure your sensitive employee information.
- Streamlined Scheduling Requests: Your employees can request time off or scheduling changes through the portal and management can approve or deny requests, as well. This cuts time from the process and automatically gives your HR department a log of all requests and responses in real-time.
- PTO Management: Employees can easily see their PTO benefits so that they can schedule their personal time and verify the amount of time off they have left in any period.
- Benefits Management: Employees can see and track all of their benefits through the portal. This lets them check their balances, see histories, and get answers to any questions they may have.
- Green Solution for Sustainability: For companies that have been relying on paper documentation, an ESS is a better solution for the environment.
What are some employee self-service tools and features?
Your ESS gives your employees the ability to oversee their information at any time. For employees, this is a huge benefit because emergencies happen outside of office hours. If they're sick in the middle of the night or they have a child taken to the hospital, they don't want to wait until morning to access information about the number of sick days they have left or to verify their medical coverage.
Here are a few tools and features your employees can access through the self-service portal:
- Health and Life Insurance Benefits: If your employees have health or life insurance through your company, they can access their policies, see statements, and save images of their benefit cards. The portal gives them a way to look up all of the information that they need to understand their coverage and stay up-to-date on any payments and data their providers need for service.
- Scheduling Information: Employees can log in at any time to see their updated schedule. They can request time off through the portal and communicate with HR or their superior about scheduling. This gives management an easy way to schedule replacement staff for sick workers. It also streamlines the process for employees who need to request days off. And all of the information is logged.
- Learning Management: If you have coursework that employees need to complete, they can access their lessons through the portal. This logs the employee's time in training and allows them to complete lessons around their schedule.
How to use an employee self-service app to access your payroll portal
Did you know that you could implement an employee self-service mobile app so that your employees can access the portal through their phones? With the app, management and employees have a secure login portal they can access directly from their mobile phone.
This is a simple process for all of your employees. They simply download the app to their mobile phone. If your company provides work phones, your IT department would likely load the app into each employee's phone for them. The employees would sign into the app and secure their password and login information using best practices. This includes using a unique password and never leaving their phone or app unlocked.
With the mobile app, your employees can access all of the information available through the portal. The process is secure and uses security features that keep your company in compliance. Employees can use the app to request on-demand payments, check paid time off, or communicate with management.
What to consider when choosing an Employee Self Service System (ESS) for your business
Are you in the process of researching ESS portals for your business? The first thing you want to look for in a solution is ease of use. Make sure that the system you choose is user-friendly so that your employees will feel comfortable using the features. This will also save you time on training staff members. The vendor should offer training and support and your solution needs to meet all regulatory compliance requirements.
At Paylocity, we check all those boxes. If you'd like to see what our ESS solution can do for your company, schedule a free demo today.
- Time & Attendance
- Human Resources
- Employee Management
- Data Insights
- Checklist: What to Know Before Buying HR and Payroll Solutions
- Navigating the Buying Process for HR and Payroll Solutions
- Employee Engagement: The Non-Negotiable Priority for Success
- The New Future of the Workplace: 3 Must-Learn Lessons from the Pandemic
- Post-Pandemic Survival Checklist: The New World of Employee Experience